Small evergreen tree, Bark – Rough, brownish grey in colour, Leaves – Crowded towards the ends of the branches, 7.5 to 12.5 cm and 2.5 to 5 cm, narrowly oblong or oblong-lan-ceolate, entire, glabrous when mature, dotted beneath with minute resinous dots. Petiole 1 to 1.5 cm long. Male spikes – 1 cm long arranged racemosely on a common axillary stalk of 2.5 to 7.5 cm long. Female spikes – Axillary, erect, 1 to 3 cm long. Fruit – Drupe, 1 cm long, ellipsoid, scaly fish red in colour.
Types Of Plant’s :
Specific Parts :
Kapha – Vatashamak.
Dry powder of Katphal bark is used to sprinkle over fresh wound.It helps to control the bleeding and heals the wound quickly.
- katphalabark powder is used as tooth powder to treat gingivitis.
- Fruit wax of Katphal is applied externally to treat Ulcers.
- To treat the hypothermia and cold sweating,massage of katphala powder with dry ginger powder is advisiable.
- Katphal bark paste is applied locally to treat skin diseases.
- Oil prepared with bark of katphal and til tail is applied externally to treat the joint pain.It also helpful in conditions like facial paralysis and paralysis.
- External application of Katphal siddha oil is advisiable in bleeding piles
- Katphal siddha oil is used for body massage which reduces the bodyache.
- Nasya of Katphal churna is indicated in Kaphaj Shirorogas \(Ref-Su.Uttarsthana-26/22)
- Katphala bark Decoction is used to treat intestinal worms and control diabetes.Dose-30-40ml
- Katphala bark powder is mixed with a glass of buttermilk and consumed to treat diarrhea and indigestion.
- Fresh juice of Katphal with Mishri is used to treat Trushna
- Katphal bark powder with honey and mishri in a of 3-5gm is used to treat cough,rhinitis and asthma. or
- Decoction of Katphal bark with ginger and cinnamon is given to treat cough,bronchitis and lung infections.
- The fruit triod i.e Katphal,Mayaphal and fatiphala is used to treat various disoders of childrens.
- Fruit decoction of Katphal is used to treat epilepsy and menstrual disoders.
- Decoction prepared with Katphal bark and vasa leaves is used to treat bronchial asthma,cough and sinusitis.
SlaismikaSiroroga (Discorders of Head due to kapha)
Katphala (Myricanagi)powdernasya or gandusha is used to treat Slaismikasiroroga..
Pittabhisyanda (Conjunctivitis due to Pittadosa)
Eye drops prepared from Katphala (Myricanagi) is very useful in Pittabhisyanda (Conjunctivities due to Pittadosa).
Formulation (Kalp) :
Choorna – 2 to 4 gm
Chemical Composition :
The stem bark gave myricanol, aproanthocyanidin. The root bark yielded beta-sitosterol, taraxerol and myricadiol.