Stout herb with numerous fasciculate usually unbranched subquadrangularcrect stems grows upto 4 ft. Stems – thickened at the nodes, more or less hispid with long hairs. Leaves – Sessile, in verticels of 6 at a node, 2 outer leaves of the whorl are large upto 18 cm long and 3 cm wide, oblong – lanceolate, 4 in ner leaves reaching 4 cm in length, each of the 6 leaves with nearly straight sharp yellow spine, 2 to 4 cm long in its axil. Flowers – in whorls of 8 (4 pairs) at each node, bracts are about 2.5 cm long like the leaves, hairy and ciliate, purple coloured flowers which are 3.2 cm long, widely 2-lipped.
Guna-Guru, Snigdha, Picchila
Specific Parts :
Root, Seed, Panchanga, Kshara.
Warmed paste of kokilaksha,dhupa and guggul is externally applied on swollen painful joints.
Kokilaksha root is helps in normalisation of bowel movement and gives relief from bloating of abdomen.
Kokilaksha root churna with milk provide sthrength to the nervous system.
Powder prepared from seeds of Swayamgupta (Mucunapruriens) and lksuraka (Asteracanthalongifolia) is taken with warm milk by adding sugar.
Seed of Kokilaksha and Lajjalu with Shatavari and Ashwagandha roots are taken with sugar and milk orally.It will prevent the nocturnal emissions.
Seeds of Kokilaksha is used to treat erectile dysfunction,premature ejaculation ,erectile failure and oligospermia.
In vatarakta (Gout ) the decoction of Kokilaksa(Asteracanthalongifolia) is beneficial. During this treatment he should take different preparations prepped from various parts of Kokilaksa.
- The ash prepared by burning the dried plant (Kshara) is given with decoction of Tribulusterrestris to treat renal calculi.
- The cold infusion of the seed of Asteracanthalongifolia is given in a dose of 25-30 ml to treat hepatomegaly and bloating of the abdomen.
- The ash of the plant of Kokilaksha is mixed with cow urine and given to treat swelling of the body (Anasarca).
- Root decoction of Kokilaksha in a dose of 30-50ml is given in generalised swelling.
- Kokilaksha kshara is used to treat ascites and urinary stone
- Kokilaksha leaves stimulates the liver and pramotes the bile secreation.Hence it is used to treat liver disoders and hepatitis.
- The juice of whole plant is used to treat burning sensation.
Formulation (Kalp) :
Quatha – 25 to 50 ml.
BeejaChoorna – 2 to 4 gm.
Svarasa – 10 to 20 ml.
Kshara – 0.5 to 1 gm.