Large shrub with many branches grows upto 15 ft. in height. Branch & Branches – Have pairs of stipular spines on tubercles or swellings. These tubercles are more or less consfluent in 5 vertical or slightly spiral lines. The branch is more or less obtusely 5-gonous in section. Leaves – Very small and obovate shaped. Involucres are yellowish, 3 to 7 in a cyme, with very short peduncle about 4 mm long. Fruits – Capsule, Sharply 2 – Lobed and compressed.
Types of Plant :
Specific Parts :
Root, Stem, Leaf, Ksheera.
Internal application :
Being teekshna-virechana it is used as dosha-shodhana in udara, gulma and yakritpleehavriddhi. As shodhana in pandu, shotha, kushtha, meha and unmade.
Snuhi is raktashodhaka and shothaharahence it is used in upadansha, amavata. Vatarakta and shotha.
It act asKaphanissaraka in kasa, shvasa and pratishyaya.
Snuhiswaras should be used with Tankana and madhu in kushtha and also in jangamavishabadha.
- For Joint pain-oil prepared with snuhi leaves and sesame is applied externally over affected area.
- Snuhi milk with haridra powder is applied over external pile mass to reduce it.
- ‘Kshara sutra’, a medicated thread useful to treat piles and fistula is prepared with milk latex of snuhi.
- Milk latex of snuhi is used for cleansing the abdomen in cases of poisoning and in severe constipation as it has purgative action
- Skin diseases, eczema, itching-
- Milk latex (only 4 drops) is added to 1-2 spoon mustard oil. This oil is applied topically on affected skin area in skin diseases.
- The leaf of Snuhi is heated and tied over the area affected with the pain and inflammation.
- Juice of Snuhi leaves poured in to the ear to treat earache.
- The latex is applied directly on warts.
- Psoriasis, eczema, skin diseases-
- For psoriasis, extract latex of plant. Take a thick bottom vessel and cook latex in one-fourth mustard oil (e.g. cook one litre latex in 250 ml oil) till all water is evaporated and only oil is left. This medicated oil is filtered and is applied externally on affected skin areas.
- Stem juice of Snuhi with honey and borax is used to treat cough and sore throat.
- Latex is boiled in castor oil with salt .This prepared mixcture is externally applied on craacked heels.
- Local application of Latex gives results in burns and wounds.
Vajrakshar, Snuhyaditaila, Snuhyadivarti, etc.
MoolaChoorna – 0.25 to 0.5 gm.
Kanda-svarasa – 5 to 10 ml.