A tree grows upto 30 ft. in height. Stem – Prickly, 15 to 25 cm in diameter. Branches – Armed with small prickles. Leaves – Compound, 20 to 40 cm long, pinnae are 8 to 12 pairs, 10 to 15 cm long, small prickles are seen at the base. Leaflets are 10 to 18 pairs, 1 to 2 cm long and 1 cm wide, subsessile, glabrous above and puberulous beneath. Inflorescence – Panicle, terminal and also seen in the axils of upper leaves 30 to 40 cm long. Flowers – yellow in colour. Fruits – Pods 7.5 to 10 cm long, 4 to 5 cm wide, woody, obliquely oblong, subcompressed. In dehiscent with a hard recurved short beak at the upper angle will have 3 to 4 seeds.
- Rasa- Kasaya, Madhura, Tikta
- Vipak- Katu
- Virya- Sheeta
Specific Parts :
- Kapha- Pittashamak.
It is useful in atisara as stambhana. In raktapitta as shonitasthapana. It is also useful in unmade, apasmara as akshepahara; as kusthaghna and dahashamak. Its decoction should be given internally and used as uttarabasti as thereby it acts as stambhana in rakta and shvetapradara.
- – Dried heartwood used against inflammation.
- – Decoction is used as diuretic.
- – Roots, stems and seeds used as sedative and vulnerary.
It is also known as ” Kuchandan ” in dhanwantari and rajnighntu churna of Patranga used for vranaropan and raktasthambh
In case of rohini application of Patanga(Caesalpiniasappan) with sugar and honey is much beneficial.
Improve renal functions
- A Bark decoction is given.
- Itches, urticaria and rashes
- Heart wood paste with coconut milk is applied externally.
- Thirst and urinary disorders due to diabetes
- Heart wood decoction is taken before sleep.
- Dosage :
- Quatha- 40 to 80 ml.
- Powder -2 to 4 gm.